Thursday, February 16, 2012

Today's Blue Plate Specials

Today we went to a little joint to get some lunch, it was recommended by the locals.  I was a little worried, but just went with the group.  Big Mistake.

The Specials:
A. Bacon Mac&Cheese (served with green beans, fruit cup, dinner roll and brownie)
B. Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza (served with bread sticks and a brownie)
C. Italian Stallion Hot Dog (served with fries, green beans and A BROWNIE)

No.  No.  And Hell No.  What is an Italian Stallion hot dog?  I don't even think I want to know.  Unless it's served to me by Rocky Balboa himself, that is one weiner that is NOT going in my mouth!  A person at the table ordered the Bacon Mac&Cheese, guess what the green beans had in them?  Yup, BACON!!!!

The only salad on the menu was their taco salad.  I don't like taco salad.  I also didn't want to eat red meat again this week or any time soon.

The Soup du Jour:
A. Ham and Bean
B. Cheeseburger Fucking Chowder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What?The?Fuck?

The other items on the menu were things such as: hot beef sandwich (gravy, mashed spuds, etc.), French Dip w/ fries, Pizza Burger (what is that? I've never heard of it!), Chicken Strips (battered and fried), crap, crap, crap.  No grilled chicken to be seen.  No breakfast available at lunch (I can't go wrong with plain scrambled eggs).  No fresh fruit, only 'fruit cups' - the kind in heavy syrup.  But they do have sugar free chocolate pudding and wouldn't you know the waitress told me that they have frozen yogurt and it is very healthy for you and it has REAL FRUIT in it!

I asked if I could just have a plain salad with lettuce, tomatoes, etc.  The waitress said, 'We usually only have dinner salads on Fridays with our all you can eat ribs & chicken - but I can come up with one for you today, sweetie!'.  I also ordered the Ham & Bean soup.  Second Big Mistake.  It was a cream based soup, it had more potatoes in it than it did beans.  I picked 2 chunks of ham and some of the corn out of it.  It basically looked untouched by the end of the meal.  It was not ham and bean soup - it was a creamy potato soup.  There's quite a difference.  The salad was partially frozen iceberg lettuce, tomato wedges, and shredded cheese.

I was so upset by the whole stupid thing, I left lunch early to go back and get my stuff out of the hotel room.  Since I was worried about going back to the meeting for the next 4 hours and being hungry, I asked the front desk if it was possible to have anything from the little free breakfast area.  I only felt comfortable asking because I have been talking to the lady a lot there and I get my coffee from her, because the stuff in the free area is horrid.  She said sure and asked me what I wanted.  I ate a bowl of Cheerios with skim and took a boiled egg and tiny strawberry yogurt with me for a snack later.  They set snacks at the meeting at about 3pm and yesterday they were little mini bags of chips (Doritos, Cheetos, etc.) and 8 ounce cans of soda.  I can't do that shit, I didn't eat it yesterday either.

It's always hit and miss for me when I'm on travel.  Sometimes, I'm fine and don't cave in to a single craving.  Other times, I act like it's a free for all and 'what happens away from home stays away' - uh no, it comes back attached to my ass and thighs.  I just want to go home, I'll be there tonight though! :)

So, I am slowly working my way out of the clutches of carb cravings.  This is the worst environment to be in right now.  There are snacks and tables and tables of food everywhere.  This morning, a huge spread of mini muffins, danish, etc.  The snack this morning was an assortment of bars: lemon bars, raspberry cheesecake bars, blaaaa.  I ate carrot sticks and I hated every person in the room who was enjoying their treats.   Oh yeah and the food is constant.  830am is sign in with millions of breakfast pastries, 10am is break with dessert bars/cookies/lemonade, then 12pm is lunch break, 3pm is snack with nachos/chips/soda/popcorn.

On Tuesday, I ate the worst lunch and supper that a person could imagine, but I did not eat the snacks at the conference.  I went to lunch with women who ate the same 2 person fettuccine as I did, and 2 hours later I watched them gorge on nachos with cheese dip, soda and cookies.  I was still full, bloated and remorseful.  I feel sad for them, I really do.  Not in a judgmental way, but just wishing that they could see what they're doing to their health.  I remember being them though, I bet ten million dollars a lot of them are thinking of what day their diet is going to start.  'I'll start on Monday'.  'I'm going to start as soon as I walk in the door from this conference'.  'I'll start after this 3 day weekend, so I have time to prepare and plan my groceries, etc.'.  START TODAY.  START right now at this meal.  You are digging your own fucking grave with that fork!

A gal who weighs about 300 pounds just sat down by me and exclaimed, 'They put the left over donuts out again and they want us to eat as much as we can or they're going to have to throw them away!  Go get some, there are all different kinds!'.  They had the donuts set out yesterday, so they are day old donuts in the first place.  She has THREE on a little mini plate, stacked up.  Reminds me of something out of the Simpsons.  Damn it, Homer - don't sit by me!  She just said, 'Oh they are a little dry, I need to go get some lemonade!'

I was just listening to these two gals talk.  They apparently came together and shared a room.  The one was apologizing if she kept the other one up.  She said sometimes her sleep apnea machine goes crazy and has a mind of its own.  The other one said, it's okay - my husband's does the same thing.  They were going back and forth about 'crunching the little hose'?  What?!   They're both sitting there with what looks like Chinese food take out, some cookies from the table and liter bottles of Dr. Pepper. LITERS.  EACH.  BOTH HAVE ONE FUCKING LITER OF GODAMN SODA IN FRONT OF THEM.

****APOCALYPSE, NOW!!!!****  


Ok, I'm going to be done now or I will ramble on and on.  I'm obviously in a foul mood.  I'm even more upset about my eating choices on Tuesday after witnessing these train wrecks.  I sound like an asshole, because sometimes I am one.  Mkay?  I blame some of the bitchiness on coming out of this carb-fest.  See?  It's just bad, all the way around.

16 comments:

  1. I think you did SO well at that place.. that's usually a situation where I fall flat on my face into the fryer, so I seriously applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like a long, horrifying nightmare that happened in real life! :( UGH...I can usually find something decent to eat anywhere but MAN, you were fucked no matter where you turned. LOL'd at the sleep apnea machine story...sorry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great!!! I seem to do that too. Its not judging its not like eww your fat its more like WOW I feel sorry for you or even worse when they are with friends or family that makes you think what kind of friends are they or family. I guess ppl are too afraid to hurt someone to get them to help themselves and I used to be like this til I went through it and hurt myself and said DAMN I WISH SOMEONE JUST TOLD ME!!! I will always tell my friend they are making a poor eating choice even if I hurt them Thats a true friend in my eyes and someone who cares. They say truth hurts right?? So let them hurt for a min and get better. And as for the sleep apnea thing that happens a lot of times due to OVERWEIGHT!!! ughhh why dont doctors tell them this???!!!!????

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Unless it's served to me by Rocky Balboa himself, that is one weiner that is NOT going in my mouth! "

    Heh. :)

    My mind is ALWAYS in the garbage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you able to take any fruit, etc with you when you travel? I am going on a little trip and that is my plan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a strange place that they wouldn't even have a few salad options or even ONE salad option. I hope youre in a better mood now at least!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - how awful...you did good - I'm sooo super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did really amazing here! I've got a birthday cake dilemma awaiting me on Saturday and I don't know whether just to say I don't want any (and get the inevitable "why nots") or take it and throw it in the garbage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh girl i feel your pain -- i have been struggling like a mofo this week & it sucks! and everywhere around me everyone is eating everything i shouldn't be eating... grrrr!

    most of the time i can resist -- this week i have caved at every turn!
    all we can do is learn from it & move the frig on!

    and yay for you for just sayin' no!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe there were no healthy options at that restaurant! Good job not giving into all the bacon and lard. I'm so impressed, really...

    It really is hard to be surrounded by others in the same situation you began in and not trying, or caring, or eating the entire buffet. But look at that resolve! Can you compare it to last year? I wonder how far you've come with diet and cravings and will-power.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My GOD that place is HELL! Admittedly, I did lingered little long as you described the lunch offerings. Sigh.

    Let me tell you - you are the freak ROCK OF GIBRALTAR not indulging in the pastries or the day old day old donuts. FREAKING ROCK!

    Good for you asking for a breakfast from the lady. You are so in charge.

    Any chance you can con your woman posse into going to a place with more veggie offerings? I mean JEESH! I would be saying "I am not going to be able to fit into my slacks if we go to lunch there again - please for me let's try..."

    Next time you travel ask ahead of time for a mini fridge for your room. Even the more basic places have them now a days, but you have to ask. Go out get some fruit salad and your other goodies and make like a pig on them at the end of the day.

    Oh and before I sign off - Italian Stallion Sausage? I like this dirty dirty place. I would have ordered it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, healthy eating is just as much a habit as it is a question of education... just "knowing" (as in, reading or hearing) what is healthy is not enough for most people. Heck, I wouldn't change my ways until I started working as a medicla translator at the embassy of a rich Arab nation, where 95% of our patients are morbidly obese, with all the complications you'd expect. After three months of translating this stuff, I was ready to change my ways, although I had "known" all this before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, I'd have walked out. And I have done so--literally walked out of restaurants after seeing the menu if it was total crap. I love when restaurants have the menu outside, so you can peruse it FIRST..but not all places do, and when I'm in a less familiar area of town, I actually have had to excuse myself from the waiter and LEAVE.

    Next time you go to diner hell...excuse yourself, say, "This place has no actual nourishment, sorry, gotta go." hahahahah

    I can't believe the locals think THAT menu constitutes a remotely acceptable eatery. It sounds like utter crap from soup to nuts. Wow. You had to go through that??? Shoot, girl, I am so sorry for that!!!!!

    Do what hubby does. Pack food. Seriously, just pack food wherever you go. He takes his own food to meetings, on business trips he sidetracks to a supermarket and packs stuff he can eat for his hotel room. He scopes out "acceptables" on business buffets, puts some in a bag for later (fruit and cheese or protein smoothies and water bottles and cuts of turkey etc). It's a war zone out there, as you clearly already know. From that battle. Geesh.

    later, babe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that dinner sounds.....sketchy!!! Ps a pizza burger is very popular in eastern Canada. It is literally a bun with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Some places will put pizza veggies on them! They are delicious if made with good products but of course not very healthy!
    Way to go staying strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, sounds like a midwest home town joint type of menu... LOL! I can't believe you haven't heard of a pizza burger either! LOL. It's crazy the food that people come up with but taco salad.... how do you not like that?? I could eat that everyday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously, I've never heard anything like that place before. Oh my god!!! It would be heaven when I was at my heaviest but total hell now!!!

    BTW "What is an Italian Stallion hot dog? I don't even think I want to know. Unless it's served to me by Rocky Balboa himself, that is one weiner that is NOT going in my mouth!"

    That is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life. I nearly died with laughter!!!

    ReplyDelete