Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My new Best Friend - Juicer!

This is what I put in my first green juice I had a couple weeks ago.  Greens, 2 stalks celery, 1 super large carrot, 1 cucumber, some cilantro, 1 pear and 1 peeled Meyer lemon.  

The juicer - one of the best purchases I've made recently.  The juice cup is 20 ounces, it started to overflow so I had to drink some off the top with the straw.  I wasn't paying attention either, caught it just in time.  I was too amazed by pushing the veggies down the chute, it's strangely entertaining.  :)  


The finished product in a measuring cup, I had to drink a little off to remove the cup from underneath the spout.  I think it made a good 22-24 ounces, since it overflowed and I had to get some off twice.  I have since started adding water and put it all in a glass pitcher, not always 'equal parts water'; but a good amount.  So, off this I could end up with 40 ounces of product.  I use 8 ounces as a serving, that is 5 servings of goodness off of that plate of veggies.  I feel so much better, I drink this once a day.  My guts love me for it and I feel 'lighter' and more energetic with this added into my daily routine.

*I do not dilute fruit based juices.  Actually, I don't make fruit based juices too often, I have no problem eating fresh fruit.  I do feel like it is more of a chore than it should be to eat greens sometimes though.  I add a piece of fruit and some citrus to almost every juice to add a little sweet and the freshness and zip from the citrus.  I can't say the juice sits around in the fridge much.  If I make a batch Sunday night, Tuesday at lunch is probably when I'd drink it up.  I don't know about oxidation, etc.. and have received a couple emails asking about that.  Like anything else, I am more than willing to learn and improve as I go!  Keep the comments, emails and juice recipes coming!!  Thanks, guys!

The leftover pulp in the waste basket of the juicer after it was all finished.

I have since started putting plastic grocery sacks in this pulp container, it makes clean up a snap!

The pulp is very well juiced.  I was scooping it out and it reminded me of play dough, so I shaped it into letters to describe the taste of the juice.  YUM!  It is earthy and green and tastes how I expected it to, I really get the taste of cucumber, which I LOVE.  The lemon adds a freshness to it all.  I love green juice!  Look at the plate of ingredients and tell me this isn't doing something great for my body.  Look at it again and tell me I'll get fat drinking this stuff - impossible, I tell ya.  I had one of these babies for supper last night with an apple (not juiced, I ate the apple with a little peanut butter).  Simple, quick and fuckloads of nutrients.  
Yes, please!

12 comments:

  1. Freakin great idea about the plastic bag in the waste basket! One reason I don't juice more is the time to rinse everything out. I'm usually in a hurry in the mornings and the cleanup is a killer. I'm gonna steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got a juicer and love it. I make it all the night before and have 16oz with breakfast and then anoher 16oz with lunch. Feels good to get the veggies in. I have also noticed with minimize grains and adding more juice a lot of my stomach issues have decreased. Hopefully they will go away for good.

    My breakfast juice this week - Beet (1/2 a beet), carrot, apple juice - so good. I some days I add a little ginger other days spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. favorite juice ever.... watermelon and mint. delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of juicer do you have? Much less pulp than mine! Your juice sounds tastey. I'm gonna do some more juicing myself, I did the week & now I miss it so I think I'm going to go back to it for a meal a day also. It's fun just mixing things and seeing what the end results are and it is very therapeutic to push that stuff through the juicer:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try something like this but I really don't know if I'd like it. I need to find a close-by friend who has a juicer and try it out aha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Love the pics!

    I really need to get myself one of these bad boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to try a green monster someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't go wrong with nature in your belly! Awesome post. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That "yum" is vaguely reminiscent of a recent deposit I made... though less hefty.

    I am glad to say that the brew you drank did not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK but seriously (no pun intended) - how is the juicer for getting the grit out - like the thickness from the carrots? I have a juicer but when I do carrots I get a hint of sawdust texture left on my tongue. Your juice looks magnifico.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG you spelled out YUM.... I needed that,, I really am glad that I follow your blog. You are such on honest, refreshing blogger. Have a great week.
    Do you leave the veggies juice in the fridge and drink all week....? I wanna get back to juicing and need to find an easy way to incorporate it.

    ReplyDelete