Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Loving Myself

When I typed the title of this post, I laughed out loud a little bit because it seems strange to me.  I thought, "Do I love myself?".  I guess we'll find out.  Thanks Cyn, for hosting this.

Things I love about Myself:
1. my ability to know, understand, and GIVE unconditional love to those around me (hard lesson learned)
2. my smile and full lips
3. my willingness to learn, learn, learn AND apply knowledge to my life
4. my loyalty to friends and family - I will always be there for them.
5. my commitment to my weight loss and health (even when it wavered at times)
6. my hair when it's big as the state of Texas
7. my dedication to my career as a Social Worker - helping others, seeing beauty in people that society at large would just as well consider garbage and want to ignore, fighting for equality for those less fortunate, shaping policies that serve vulnerable populations, linking children and families to resources to better their lives
8. my love of books, reading, learning
9. my experiences in life and how they've shaped who I am, taught me lessons and gave me warm memories to think about when the world is cold

That list wasn't easy to come up with.  I pictured myself standing in front of a mirror and thinking - what do you love about what you see? What is great about you, to the core?  Maybe there should be more on the list, I don't know.

As far as how loving myself has inspired this weight loss journey, I would say it means everything.  I had to realize that I was killing myself.  I had to stop and start caring about myself, about my body.  I realized that my relationship with food was toxic.  I realized that as smart as I am; I was being completely ridiculous and foolish about my food choices, my sedentary ways and my health.  I dream of a happy future, travel, friends, family...... yet, I was layering on pounds like a coffin around me.  I had to do a lot of writing, journaling, thinking, and even crying to get to where I am.  I have to continue to learn to love myself, to care about 'my body' and realize it isn't a separate entity from my mind, my personality, my future.  It is my future.  I focused on career, academics, making other people happy, bla, bla bla... for years.  Now, I have to do me.  

My commitments:
1. I will love myself enough to lose another 50 pounds (and then move on to the next goal weight).
2. I will love myself enough to share positive vibes and happiness with the world.
3. I will love myself enough to treat my body good with healthy, nutritious REAL food.
4. I will love myself enough to free myself of debt (student loans and 1 credit card - 2 are paid off!!!)
5. I will love myself enough to remember the 'big picture' when making choices for my life on a daily basis.
6. I will love myself enough to allow others to love me, to not be closed off and fearful of being hurt.  I will trust people more and be open to receiving love from others.  (I've really been struggling with this lately.) 

Wow, I didn't think I'd feel emotional after this post, but I do.  Time to go for a walk........  :)      

16 comments:

  1. You rock! Always remember this & keep it where you can see it for the tougher days or if/when you forget:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We should all take stock of ourselves more often. It's a fantastic exercise in self-discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww april -- this is amazing & exactly the type of post (and emotion) i hoped the meme would evoke!!!

    you are just too wonderous for a little comment box so just know that i think you rock balls & are an inspiration!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Ellie!

    I always think it's crazy that we find it so easy to love others yet find it so hard to love ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Miss April! This "business" of loving ourselves, for those of us who are hard-pressed to do so for a multitude of reasons, takes work, and it's work you're doing - and then some! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. It´s hard for me to come up with many things to love about myself, always much easier to want to change yourself.
    I can add to your list that I love the way you support other blog friends! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your list! It's hard to turn the eye back on ourselves and think about things that are related to our weight but well done on seeing all the good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're fabulous! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found that one of the best parts of this journey to be healthy and fit is to learn to love yourself. You are worth all your efforts. You are worth it. Happy Valentin's day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you love yourself - it's so important! Great post, Ellie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! So many thing that you mentioned I have felt myself. I think it helps so much to post about this subject, because I think so often that I must be the only one going through some of these things. Let's face it....loving ourselves can make us invincible...and how freaking great is that. Rock on, Miss April! And thank you for your sweet comments on my post at A Beautiful Day. Doing the link up has been a great experience for me and I am finding such great blogs that I never would have found before. I am your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya know, some of the most kind humans I have ever met have been social workers. I used to volunteer with something called CASA where I interacted a lot with social workers and a few of them help me dodge some pretty crazy scary situations. How they maintained perspective and not burn out? Sigh. And just recently my husband and I got some really great help from a social worker for the aged folks in our area. An elderly woman in my neighborhood was having trouble and needed help and that gentle soul - most kind man ever - helped us see that she got what she needed and was so wonderful. I think it is a special person who does that.

    OK

    Now - hair as big as Texas. I smile imagining it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post. You are definitely lovable. You are a great person! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss April,
    I was emotional after my post too so I hope you had a good cry on and then proceeded to have a wonderful day. I also read your post about screwing the day after lunch. Been there, done it, lived it, hated it, have done it again. You are picking yourself back up, recognizing the behavior, and like you said "progress, not perfection". You rock and I'm proud to be a reader of your blog! Keep inspiring those around you with your honest!
    Susan
    http://75percenthippie.blogspot.com
    http://happyhippieheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete