Sunday, February 26, 2012

Being more Positive, Happy, Centered

I noticed in the last couple weeks that I have been a lot more positive about my life and my future.  I started thinking about that a lot this weekend.  I was looking at myself in the mirror after a shower and I was thinking about the weight loss and how far I've come.  I know I still have a lot of weight to lose, but I think my ability to actually follow through with it is directly related to maintaining my positive attitude and my faith. 

When I would look in the mirror last year and think I needed to start a 'diet' right now or better yet, 'tomorrow' - I would have some pretty ugly things to say to myself.  I would say, 'I need to lose weight because I'm disgusting'.  'I'm going to be alone forever, I'm so fat'.  'Nobody could ever love me looking like this'. 'Nobody wants to sit by me or talk to me at a party, I'm too gross'. 'I hate myself'. 

Yesterday, I was thinking.... I have come a long way, baby!  My sides are smaller.  I have less chins.  I have to keep losing weight so I can fit some cute jeans.  I want to go to London and Australia (my dream vacation spots), so I'll keep being healthy.  I can't wait to be able to run my first 5k!  I will not wear an extender on the airplane next time.  I want to go on some nature hikes this summer, so want to be more healthy and active. 

These self-thoughts are like night and day.  I am so much more positive about myself, about my future and my ability to be happy.  I am happy right now and for the first time in a long time, I don't see it as a momentary chapter of my life.  I plan to remain happy (normal ups and downs of life along the way), healthy and better.  Better than I've ever been.  More open to love than I've ever been.  More confident in my faith and hope than I've ever been.  I'm hopeful that I can achieve the goals I've set.  I'm confident in my ability to keep losing weight and maybe even inspire others along the way.

I have been talking with my James a lot about religion.  We decided that every Wednesday, we would each choose parts of the Bible to read and we do that together.  It is unlike anything I've ever done - especially with a boyfriend.  I love it!  I love our time spent reading different verses and seeing how they relate to our lives or to people around us.  We don't really discuss it with other people, but it has helped our relationship grow.  Not just because of the passages themselves, but because of the discussion it provokes between us.  They're not always 'friendly', but we are so respectful of each other and our differences.  I have been trying to explain to him my system of 'faith', my beliefs.  I knew I had wrote something about it in a blog post before, so I came here to find it and print it off.  I wrote about it last August, in this post.

Look at the beginning of that post, I didn't know what it was like to have a 'happy life' or what it would take to get there.  Six months later, and I'm here.  I've arrived at happiness, true happiness.  I'm still learning and growing  - every single day.  But, I know more about happiness now than I think I ever have.  I've worked on a lot of things that are impossible to put into words here to be shared with you.  There are things that I can't share that I've had to work through.  I did it though and I continue to un-do damages that were done to me for years. 

Every encounter with you was a reminder that I was born to survive
I may be damaged, but I'm not broken
You can't break me!
I refuse to live my life as your victim
I'm more than that and I'm on my way to big things.
Big dreams.
And......... I forgive you.

That's part of a writing I did........ sometime last fall or early Winter.  I write A LOT.  It's therapy for me. 

Be positive.  Find your center.  Set some goals.  Work towards them, because if I can do it - you can too.  If you have work to do that isn't just counting calories and getting off the couch - start there.  You might be able to do it on your own like I have, or it may take some work with a professional.  Some of us do carry around some deep issues, some hurt from the past, some pain, some trauma.  Everyone does, but some of us carry that under layers of fat.  The fat can't be your shield and it's only going to make you more miserable.

Seek Happiness.  Think positive thoughts.  Be open to love.  It's out there!  :)

13 comments:

  1. Hey I'm from Australia! Where abouts in Australia do you want to go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to teach me how to turn it off! i tried to find it somewhere the other day cause i hate it but I had no idea where to go or how to do it!! aha. its so brutal. they are so hard to figure out..makes me not even want to comment.

    "Everyone does, but some of us carry that under layers of fat. The fat can't be your shield and it's only going to make you more miserable."

    I need to write a blog about this sort of thing. How scared I am to not hide everything under my weight and finding new ways to deal with things..instead of hiding them. Its scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you wrote. There is so much to discover about oneself in the process, mainly (I've found) that one is capable of so much more than one believes. Keep being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you. Especially because faith and happiness belongs together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so inspiring. I'm trying to get back to thinking that way. I have let life get in between me and my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you are in a happy place. You deserve happiness in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of everything you've achieved so far. I can't wait to read another post in 6 or so months time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. April that was a great post. SO happy for you. You can make your future and mold your thoughts and create the you you want. Bad times pass if you point away from them and towards happiness. Good messages. TRUE messages.

    A marriage where two people are faithful in Christ and share the same core values are well ahead of those who do not share that. Get straight on money and how you will raise your children and you will have a long and happy marriage. You have already shown you are no quitter. Your beau must be thrilled to have caught you: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can feel and sense your joy and peace as I read your post. I am happy for you and blessed to get to hear about it. You deserve a great life and you will have it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post and I love your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post from a beautiful girl! Im so glad things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy fantastic blog! Does running a blog similar to this require a lot of work?
    I've very little expertise in programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic nevertheless I simply wanted to ask. Many thanks!

    Here is my site; weight loss

    ReplyDelete