Friday, January 27, 2012

Small Changes

I did a post similar to this a while ago and got quite a few emails on it, so here is an update and more ideas:

Little Changes that Add up:
1. no more coffee creamer (instead I use 1 tbsp half&half and sugar free Torani)

2. no red meat..... Fish and chicken.  Fish and chicken.  Egg whites.  Fish and Chicken.  Almonds.  MmmHmmm, good stuff!

3. Green tea (about 24 oz a day) instead of diet soda

4. I track my calories the night BEFORE I consume them.  I do it old school with pen, paper and a little calorie counting book I found.  This goes hand in hand with meal/food preparation.  Cut up your veggies and put them in snack sized bags when you buy them.  If you put them in the crisper, chances are you won't see them again until you're throwing them away (or maybe that's just me).

5. I have 3 breakfast choices, that's it.  Either I have: A. green smoothie (2 oranges, 2 c spinach, 1 c. yogurt blended together), B. Fage greek yogurt & piece of fresh fruit or C. 2 eggs scrambled with loads of fresh veggies (green onions, green pepper, red pepper, mushrooms, frozen corn)

6. No eating after 8pm.  Sometimes I stay up until 1am reading a book or doing random nothings around the house, if I feel hungry - I make a cup of hot herbal tea.  It helps relax me and I go to bed, no eating!

7. No booze in January.  :)  I am going to continue this through February, maybe even March.  I am pretty sure I was an alcoholic before this little challenge, for real.  Scary.

8. I do not keep crap in my house.  Before I 'got it', on any given day - you could find chips, cheese dip, cake mixes, brownie mixes, ice cream, white bread, pasta and all kinds of random stuff in my pantry and fridge.  That is SO not the case anymore.  My pantry is so minimal - some marinara sauces, lots of canned kidney beans, some canned pineapple and canned pumpkin.  Every once in a while if I find a good sale, I buy some Progresso light soups to have on hand for lazy dinners or quick lunches.  I eat a lot of the same foods over and over.  Food isn't a pleasure or the center of my world anymore - it's fuel to do the OTHER stuff in life, like.... living.  Eat something to sustain you then move on with your real life.

9. I write in a journal - a lot.  I write about my feelings, about my goals, about where I see myself in five years.  I might just jot down an inspirational quote.  If I had a bad day or cry over something, I put those tears into words instead of calories... I process it, then move on. 

10. Oranges.  Sounds strange, but they're kind of saving my life....  If I am boredom eating, I just eat an orange and get over it.  As I'm peeling it, I imagine myself peeling layers of myself away.  Layers of hidden emotions, layers of insecurities, layers of fat, layers of old oversized clothes, layers of negative energy that I have internalized.....  It's tactile, you use your hands to get to the fruit.  I don't know if this would work for anyone, it's this weird psych thing I've designed for myself - but it works!  I also get a shitload of Vitamin C.  I have had 1 little sinus infection all winter and that was after visiting someone in the ER.  I got sick more last summer than I have this winter. Everyone in my office was sick and my whole family was sick all Christmas break.  Not this girl.  Oranges are my best friend, I have a bowl of them on my desk and bought 10 pounds of them yesterday because they were on super sale!  :)  

Let me tell you about the no booze challenge for January.  I did some reading about how alcohol hinders weight loss and body transformation, and it's not just because of empty calories.  To sum up the articles, alcohol leads to belly fat because of how it's metabolized, etc..  I hate my fat stomach, everything else seems to be getting smaller after these 62 pounds lost - but this belly is just ridiculous.  I have not drank at all in January and with the 8 pounds I've lost this mount - I have lost 4 inches off my waist.  I check it every week because this year I am keeping measurements.  I am amazed.  I didn't realize that would be possible with just 8 pounds, but I KNOW a big part of that is not drinking alcohol.  Goal jeans ALMOST look perfect - just you wait!  ;)  

24 comments:

  1. Woo!!! I totally agree with number 4. If my veggies aren't prepared soon after purchase, they don't get used. I can't put them in my crisper drawers bc they're opaque... and most of my fridge is veggies at this point, which is an excellent feeling.

    I like your orange analogy. Maybe I'll start thinking about that when I have mine! :) But seriously... Vitamin C. Miracle worker. Being in a music dept, where spit valves are emptied and practice rooms occupied by 10+ students a day, and people go into rooms and breathe high volumes at each other (singing in choir).... I used to get 4 respiratory infections a semester. Haven't had one since last semester. Partially vitamin C upped and partially changing my surroundings.

    Can't wait to see the goal jeans! I'm so proud of you for your non-booze January. Going to continue to feb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... LOVE that you're weaning out the diet soda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info about the alcohol because I decided also to lose the booze, just because I figured it was a good idea. I didn't know about the whole belly fat thing. Added bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can also testify to the no drinking = weight loss thing. It causes me to retain water like mad and when i stopped, my 2 times pregnant belly actually started looking a little firm, it was nice. I'm glad you are getting into those goal jeans, that was always my favorite feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love when just a little adds up to a lot!!!! Got for you!!!

    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love number 10 the analogies and everything. I love fruit sooo much always have. About the no alcohol thing thats a great thing to do especially if you drink a lot. I still drink once a week bad I know but I dont go over board with it and surprisingly from what I experienced the belly fat issue really depends on what alcohol you are drinking. Good luck with everything you are doing an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips - I think it's so good to look at what works for us and reaffirm the route we're on and also to show that the fitness/weight-loss/weight-gain/other physical goal is not through luck or chance but our own efforts and to own those successes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow some of those same tips and they really did make such a difference. Then they became habits. Well, most of them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm, oranges, gotta get me some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome!! I'm addicted to any oranges..my favorite are cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Small changes do add up. And yay - you can see me now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are great tips and you are rocking this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome April! You are totally rocking it! I'm super proud of you and your success and you motivate me to do better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post with a lot of great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! I have to say that I love what you said about the oranges! I totally do this I've noticed lately but it's been with pummelos. I guess that explains why I love the peeling process so much when I eat them, I think it's fun to peel away the skin then that white stuff on the outside, and then even the membrane around each section of yummy, citrus juiciness! I haven't had much luck with oranges being good when I bought them in the summer so I haven't bought them in a while but I do love them too. I also agree with the whole alcohol thing... it does equate to belly fat and it stunts the metabolism so that it doesn't burn fat as well. I'm not a big drinker but I do know if I drink it tends to stunt my weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow I think I'm going to massively cut down on the booze then! Thanks for the information it's helpful to read stuff like this because you always remember the stuff that applies to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. i just adore you -- just so you know!

    i expect a photo you in those goal jeans asap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish there was not crap in my house:( Darn husband.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another good alternative to creamer in your coffee is unsweetenned vanilla almond milk - very yummy! I bake with it too.

    I have 3 go to breakfast too - makes life easy and I dont get bored shockingly... 1. old fashioned oats with 1/2 banana and cocoa powder, 2. egg whites on an english muffin and a grapefruit or 3. egg whites and turkey sausage over a slice of toast.

    I wish I could stop eating after 8... just cant do it yet.

    I also need to get on board with drinking some water before my morning coffee!

    Christina
    http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. ouh love love loved this!! it inspired my whole post tonight aha. great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I need to do your coffee thing. Something we started doing was buying a huge container of plain greek yogurt & making veggie dip with it. 1 cup is 130 calories. Seriously I could not imagine even eating a cup of it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your plan looks like a winner! Yum green smoothies? And sending much strength to you on the sobriety. I am glad that I got away from beer and pot. Both are fattening and I don't fear the po po anymore. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Time for a picture. In your jeans - peeling an orange.

    Big hug for a thinning girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! I am so pleased you wrote this post. So pleased I can hug you for about a day or two continuously. Obviously people at your work will think i'm totally weird for hugging you non-stop and they'll probably think you're weird too but who cares. Well you might but I dont! :D

    I am definitely stealing some of your ideas because they will help me with my mexico challenge. I've been struggling for ways to improve what I do now and now I have plenty! :)

    ReplyDelete