Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Little Changes

It's the little things that add up, that keep you moving, that help you cut back on calories.....

1. I park at the very end of the parking lot, no matter where I'm at.  Walmart, work, grocery store, etc..  Your car doesn't get hit by some jackass parking two inches away from you and ramming their door into your car and you get some extra steps.  You're going to walk when you get in the store, so what's the big deal about parking right in front of the door?  I've always found that strange.

2. I have now finally switched to Torani sugar free syrup and 1 little 'mini-moos' half and half containers.  I used to use creamer, two tbsp for about 60 cals.  I buy boxes of mini-moos, which is more costly; but the result is worth it.  My taste buds have changed gradually and I don't need that much cream in my coffee.  My goal is to get to a splash of milk and a a little of the sugar free vanilla syrup.  The mini-moos are 10 calories, the syrup is 0.  I drink about 4 cups of coffee a day, which was costing me so many calories (over 200 for creamer alone).  Now, it's reduced greatly and I still get my caffeine for about 60 cals total (coffee, creamer, syrup).  Crazy to think of how much I was having before just to get the darn cream!

3. I don't buy '100 calorie packs' or other gimmicky, processed crap.  I make my own snack packs.  I spend Sundays cutting, washing and prepping fruits and veggies.  I keep a large salad bowl in my fridge and grab out my own little '100 calorie packs' which are sandwich bags filled with fruit or cut of veggies.  I don't put them in the crisper drawer - it isn't "out of sight, out of mind".  They're right in front of me, they're colorful and they're ready to go.  I also make little packages of a few cubes of cheese and summer sausage ready to go to change it up and have a salty snack if the mood strikes.

4. I've learned some of my favorite low cal recipes that are easy to make and keep at a barbecue or party.  I make a great broccoli salad and a fabulous spinach/strawberry/walnut salad.  If the options are mostly calorie-laden, I know I can fill up on the dishes I contributed to the get-together and just taste or skip the others.  (Potato salad is the biggest challenge, I love it and everyone here seems to prepare it so well!)

5. I set mini challenges for myself weekly.  This week, I am not carrying my credit or debit cards.  That means no spur of the moment trips to get a snack or coffee refill.  I have to go home or eat what I have here (or drink the office-prepared coffee which tastes like motor oil).  My bank account also stays a little more happy.

6. I used to keep a 32 ounce water bottle on my desk and refill it 2-3 times a day.  I now have one of them nifty double walled 16 ounce cups with a straw.  I go to the water cooler more often, I move around more.  The constant sight of me walking down the hall to get more water has inspired others to up their water intake.  Sometimes I think it's guilt that they know I'm doing something healthy and they don't want to look like a jackass.  Inspiration in any form is a good thing.  When I go places or to visit friends, I always have my red stainless steel water bottle with me.  Always.  It's as common and necessary as carrying my cell phone or house key - I need it.  Solid habit!

7. I seek to share my healthy habits here and in my life with the people I know and love.  I am a holiday baker, I usually make ten different types of cookies, some dipped pretzels with pretty sprinkles, chocolate-peanut clusters, toffee... ugh the list goes on and on.  I have decided this year I'm not doing that.  I am going to do fruit baskets instead!  They cost more, but the 'good' news is that I don't have many friends or know many people here (yet).  In Kansas, I used to make about 20 goodie plates, here I think I have my list narrowed down to about 7-8 people to gift with a fruit basket.  It's worth the gesture, cost and sharing the benefits and example of healthy habits and fresh fruit!

   I used to keep a candy dish on my desk.  I have a lot of random visitors at work, I have removed the candy dish and now have two fruit bowls.  One I keep on my bookshelf behind my desk with the select pieces of fruit in it, the other is on the center of my desk.  People come in and get fruit or ask for a piece all the time.  I started just this morning with 3 oranges and 1 pear, it is only 10am and I only have 1 orange left.  I tell people to buy their own fruit bowl and fill it each week, it keeps you more full than a candy bar and isn't a waste of calories, it won't put you in a sugar fog, fiber is our friend, etc. etc. etc..  I haven't seen any one with their own fruit yet, but they can keep eating mine until they realize how awesome and simple of a change it is.

These are some examples of how I have cut calories, changed my taste buds to more healthy choices, move more and inspire others.  They have added up to me and are part of that 'healthy lifestyle' thing we all talk about.  What are some of the small changes you've made that have been helpful?

22 comments:

  1. Hi Miss April, I like your tips. I also have just gotten into the habit of parking as far away as I can at Walmart! Now, seeing the people fighting to get the closest spaces look insane! Thanks for following my blog and I am going to follow yours also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone told you today how totally cool you are? No? Well, you ARE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYyyyyyyyy I love reading all of this! My water bottle is also an extension of me these days.. have you ever thought of making fruit bouquets? They use much less fruit than a whole basket and are soo friggin adorable. All you really need are fruit, a few cookie cutters, skewers and small flower pots or oversized mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips - love the fruit bowl idea!!! And yes, the little things add up to so much

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great post--full of lots of inspirational ideas for me too. Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job April! You are rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the fruit bowl idea. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are GREAT ideas!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got caught up. You are doing so well April. I am very proud of all the changes you have made. Keep up the great work. Haven't read anything about James lately so hope all is wonderful with Mr. Wonderful.
    Take car eand have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So smart! Going to apply this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to do the same thing, pack my lunch daily with healthy foods. My job has vendors that visit daily and I eat my food from home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great changes! And some great ideas ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i adore you & your awesome changes/ideas!

    you rock balls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE these ideas. I will make my own snack packs too! You're the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your mini weekly challenges! Lots of great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great ideas...and tips!! Thanks, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Youre right all the little things add up. I always take my own snacks but I do buy little 100 calorie low carb protein bars. I'm with you on the water, I have 2 I rotate, one in the fridge and one on the go so I always have nice cold water, especially as it's getting warmer here now, 32/89 degrees today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ideas! I need to get back on the wagon, my low thyroid has thrown my diet plan for a loop. But you're so inspiring.

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT TIPS. i love the fruit bowl idea....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am gonna have to find those mini moos - and for more than their cute name which I will be saying for the rest of the evening - thank you for that.

    I like that you are giving fruit and offer fruit. Lord knows they must see you as an inspiration and you offer good examples without yapping on and on about what you have done. Ditto that for the water. I never think about that sort of thing (inspiring), but I will.

    I am not making cookies or candy gifts this year. Everyone is getting something knitted or sewn. I made luggage tags, coasters, bags and totes and then knitted scarves... something I could do without thinking (a very limited list I assure you).

    Such good tips. And easy really. Hug

    ReplyDelete