Monday, October 24, 2011

Free place to workout!

Remember how I'm new-ish to this town?  I don't know a whole lot about what is available, but today I found out something fabulous!  I had a doc appt., just to refill meds, check a few things, etc..  My blood pressure is really good, for once.  He was impressed again by the weight loss and told me how it's only going to get more challenging now, but by this time next year he thinks I will be down another 80 pounds.  He was super nice, not to mention confident in me!!  He said he wished that as my Dr., he was more of a part of my weight loss, but he hasn't done much for me other than pats on the back and he felt bad about that for some reason.  I told him that coming in to see him every 60-90 days has been great for accountability and support, so no worries.  So then he asked me if I knew about the free clinic's workout room.  No, doc, I sure don't, but I think I do want to hear about it.

We walk down the hall to the workout area.  Wow!  They have really nice, new equipment.  In one room there are all of the machines to target specific areas.  The big scary machine they have at Curves that you do squats with it, while it rests on your shoulders - ouch.  They have a lot of free movement machines, it looks great.  They also have weights.  Wonderful.  In the next room they have a (limited) set of cardio machines - 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes with arm thingies on them, 2 treadmills.... wonderful I tell ya.  They are open from 7am to 6pm.  I get off work at 4:30pm, so the plan is to go home and change quick, then head to the free workout place! 

He said some days there are about 4-6 people in there right after work, sometimes there are 0.  It's hit and miss.  To no surprise, he said that in January he gets a huge influx of people with New Year's resolutions and such, then by March 1 it dwindles down.  The free clinic got the equipment through a grant, it is attached to the 'Healthy Heart' and 'Diabetes Prevention' programs.  I had to sign a few things in order to use it, but he said I am set.  I plan to go there this evening!!  I am so excited about it.

16 comments:

  1. Wooo, that is wonderful! Rock it today, lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See - now he is really doing to help with your weightloss - he just gave you something for FREE!!! Wonderful....glad that he gave you the hookup.

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  3. My office has a free workout space but it is very limited, 2 ellipticals, a weight bench and a weight machine. Limited but it was everything I needed.

    Good news on finding a free workout place, yours sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice..... I love surprise finds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome perk to have at your clinic. I would totally take advantage of that!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fantastic, definitely not something you're likely to find in our creaky old National Health Service here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky is that? If there was a free place here I would SO be there! Enjoy it and use it to its full extent :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo how freakin' awesome is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you lucky duck! I'm sooo jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome. A great place to work out and such a sweet doctor. You are a lucky duck!!
    Take care and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome! and free? awesomer, aha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's so cool! What equipment do they have in there? Who says nothing in life is free?? LOL

    ReplyDelete