Sunday, October 2, 2011

bloggers....

It's no joke that weight loss bloggers come and go like the seasons, huh?  I was looking through my followers.  Somehow I got to 132 followers, that is very cool!  I thought I'd have maybe 10 at the most?  When I went through my Followers list to the very beginning, I clicked on them and their blogs and was like 'oh yeah, I remember them'... they haven't posted since June.  Crazy.  July.  August 10.  Maybe they figured out blogging wasn't for them or maybe they learned that they weren't ready to be accountable and really lose the weight.  For those of you who are who have been here since the Slimmer this Summer Challenge and beyond  - I commend you.  Stick with it.  If not with the blogging for support, accountability, discussion - at least stick with the commitment to your health.  I read a couple blogs (I mean 2 out of 30 that I just went and checked up on) that posted about a month or so later and said they're still on track and doing well.  I hope they all are, but... unfortunately, we've all been down that road before.  Bummer. 

When I first started blogging, I would find blogs where the author had already lost 100 pounds or so and I'd be like... ehh, I don't really want to follow them because it won't be helpful unless I read through ALL their posts and I don't have time to do that.  That is the most idiotic line of thinking, really!  Of course I want to read and spend time on the blogs that have lost a lot of weight, they already know how it's done.  I wanted to be stirring the pity pot on 'bad days' with others were clueless and just starting out.  The blind leading my blind was my strategy!!!  LOL, thank goodness I found my first challenge - Slimmer this Summer... I rocked the hell out of it, I might add.  ;)   My favorite bloggers are already skinny minis and I won't be there for at least a year and a half more (ok, probably never 'skinny'; but that's not really my goal).  Reading those blogs makes me think, 'I can do this'.  I really like blogs that post picture updates.  Have you guys seen Poison's blog?  Ummm she's fabulous and her progress pics are just mind-blowing and ballsy!  She's pretty rad, really.

Anyhow, those are just some random thoughts I had on this whole community.  Overall, I enjoy it.  I have a job that allows me to update at work and keep up with the new posts.  I am a serial commenter, I like commenting on blogs and it's such a wonderful support system.  I also enjoy getting comments... they're usually quite helpful.  To my faithful readers, lurkers and ones that stop by to catch up just ever so often - thank you!   

18 comments:

  1. I find myself getting in blog ruts and reading the same ones over & over. I literally have to remind myself to branch out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you... I try to find people that started out over the 300lb mark. I don't care if they've lost a lot or a little yet. I just want to find someone who will have to have worked or will work about the same amount of time as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so behind on catching up and was just about to log off then i saw this post and decided to check it before loggin off.. haha. fancy that! :P

    I saw you write about yer fave bloggers and was like ooh i wonder if i'm one.. but im not skinny yet... lol. and then there pops up my name. bwahahah. Awesome! thanks for sharing my link.

    and i keep getting told how gutsy it was of me to post those pictures. i think that was probably the best thing i did for myself straight from the beginning. Just to put it all out there so i couldn't hide from myself anymore. It was very scary and i still shudder looking at them. But I firmly beleive it was a necessary evil for me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its a shame when we lose a weight loss blog, as i struggle to find ones who are going through same struggles as i am at the moment. I understand that reading about someone who has got to goal can also help, but i find that reading someone who has the same struggles helps me a lot more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have all those followers because you get out there, offer support and encouragement on our blogs and people come to you. As far as weight loss bloggers dropping by the wayside, I guess they don't need blogging so much at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, YES poison is an animal I swear. If I didn't absolutely love her I'd have to hate her because she's just that good. I havent gone to the beginning of my followers but i do see so many that have trailed off and ur left wondering how they are doing. I dont want to be one of those bloggers months from now and I secretly hope they come back :0) Cuz its always hard to come back and see those who DID stick it out and u think "Dammit, that could have been me!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always makes me sad when bloggers quit blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually sort of stalk-hound bloggers I liked when they go silent. I'll leave comment after comment week after month, hoping the come back. Then, at some point, I say "Okay, bye. Let me know if you return" and stop trying. But I try..

    I've been blogging since May 2007, trying to figure out my issues, this weight thing, etc. I've been blogging quite diliigently and consistently for more than a year now on the newer blog. For me, it's a tool. It may become a maintenance tool down the road. Or, once my weight journey reaches a point where I feel good and sound and well..I may just say "adios". Not sure. I'll know when I get there.

    But I do hate when bloggers I like go silent. Makes me very sad. Makes me a little angry, too, when they don't even say goodbye. Just...blank out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard to lose weight and stay determined. There are no gimmicks. feel so much sadness when someone goes silent. I know this is hard, but, it will never be easy. As bloggers drop out, I try to send them messages to check in. One of the brightest spots for me is that Shane (Losing it for the Family) is back. So, sometimes, folks come back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been here a month shy of you and already have blogs that have fadded away. I did a search last week for some new ones to follow and did exactly what what you said. Found some that have already acheieved there goals or getting closer to it. I find myself sometimes wanting not to post becasue I am not being as successful as I wish I were, and then I remember that the support is worth it and hopfully eventually I will get more focused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking about this the other day. There have been so many blogs where people have just suddenly stopped writing and i'm left to wonder what happened to the blogger. Sometimes these people own blogs ive followed for months and months and then that's it, they're gone. It's like a friend moving away and never hearing from them again.

    By the way, thanks for the comment on my blog about the ipod! Very useful!!! BTW, I love paper toss! I've played that before and it's sooooo addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I follow a lot of blogs that haven't updated. It's sad but they will get there. I have one girl who comes and goes..loses then gains. I love having somewhere to go and all the support of ladies like you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started my blog in 2009, stopped shortly after starting and picked it up again in 2011. I debated whether or not to just start fresh again, but it was nice to have a record from back then.

    I hope other bloggers come back to pick up their story....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started my journey and my blog in 2009. It quickly became a journal of my mother's death. I came back for 2 days in 2010...and then came back for real this year. We do sometimes come back.

    There is a similiar post on my blog about people disappearing. It always makes me wonder what happened. What went wrong. If anything went wrong...

    By coming back and keeping the same blog, it keeps my journey real. And now I have old blogger friends and new blogger friends...so that worked out too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Carbie!! Don't hate me!! lol. I haven't met goal yet. You can hate me then. :D lol. You are not all that far behind me either girl!! Thanks for callin me an animal though, coz now I feel like one and am about to attack week 4 of the couch to 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm glad you posted this I know exactly what you mean. I try to post pictures as and when I can but I love seeing people move onward down the scales and hear how they've done it or what they've changed, Its really inspiring!

    I love the Christmas Countdown challenge I might have to get in on that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blogging is the #1 motivator for me. I tried So many things and so many ways and would last maybe two weeks at most. I started blogging a couple months ago and I've learned and changed A LOT. I know I can definitely do this now and hopefully by NEXT summer I'll be where I need to be:).

    Love reading your posts always!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love our little community and it is sad when someone goes away. I haven't blogged or read or commented like I usually like to and it does make me feel less accountable and I don't like it!!

    ReplyDelete