Monday, September 26, 2011

I want food. Now.

I have been doing my own self-challenge, which is #17 on my 30 by 30 list... Eat only fruits and veggies for 10 days straight.  I started last Wednesday 9/21.  I have completed 5 whole days of this challenge and I don't know how much more I can take.  I did modify the challenge to have 'cooked' veggies and also nuts.  I mean, I had to have a protein.  I drink a ton of tea (caffeinated and herbal) as well as my usual 100 oz water.  I'm sitting here thinking, wtf did I get myself into?  I can't EAT until Saturday?!?!?!  I was talking to my boss as she ate a sausage-egg-cheese-croissant and I wanted to rip it out of her hands and inhale it. 

As far as being on this challenge for the last 5 days, I feel good - physically.  I feel amazing as a matter of fact.  It has definitely worked as a cleanse for my body and we'll leave it at that.... My stomach is ginormous (see last post for a pic), but it used to be hard-ish and bloaty all the time.  Now, it feels... lighter?  I can't explain it, but I'm more comfortable (however I'm not comfortable at all) with this big belly.  It's very strange.  My knees feel better, I don't feel achy.  I get sore after my workouts, but I love that feeling.  General pain level has decreased already and I can only imagine it's going to get better.

I am half way through this self-challenge.  I knew this was my only chance to do it, my birthday is in April and fruits-veggies are plentiful and in season so I figured I'd knock this one off my 30x30 list.  I really want to eat.  I was sitting here thinking of ways I could change the rules, I could eat eggs or yogurt or oatmeal or soup or protein shake or anything or something.... but, I can't.  This is the challenge I set for myself and I will get through until Friday, it is so freakin' hard right now though.  5 more days of fruits, veggies, nuts and tea.  I have been using a lot of spices and seasonings to get me through.  Lemon pepper cauliflower is pretty darn good as is garlic-pepper broccoli.  Lets not forget garlic salt on kiwi, I actually love the flavor of that and have been eating it for years.  I also salt and pepper my mangos, try it - you'll be in heaven.

5 more days!         

15 comments:

  1. Before I get into commenting on your post, i want to thank you for the time you took to write the lengthy and informative reply to my post today. You have given me MUCH to think about and I am so thankful to have the support (and honesty) of my blogger friends. You are a great inspiration, Miss April!!! (P.S. The Oreos got into the house via my husband - believe it or not I don't buy that stuff - I'd feel too guilty).
    As for your 10 day challenge, I KNOW you can do this, because you strike me as the type of person that sticks to her guns...and sometimes I think challenges like this, although on the surface seem like ways to get you healthier, have a much deeper meaning and significance to them. If you can do this, it seems like the question then should be, what ELSE can you do? Every time you prove to yourself that you can accomplish something difficult, it makes you want to try harder to do the next thing, to get to the next level. I applaud you and your will power and determination.
    Oh, and your boss is lucky you didn't drool on her sandwich...that had to be tough to stand in the presence of such breakfast badness (I can almost smell it from here).
    Anyway - keep it up. 5 more days! You can do it. I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 more days girl you can do it......and the S&P on fruit is amazing.....putting salt on an apple makes it sweeter.....I put salt on my granny smiths and they are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can do it, too. But, I am hoping that this 10 days ritual will NOT impact future eating habits and make you want to avoid fruit and veggies all together. They are key to being successful in keeping your weight off. This 10 days is very short term, continuing to lose weight at reasonable rates and then keeping it off is for the long haul. I want to see you in this for the long haul. Again, I think you can do the 5 days. When it is done, keep them in your healthy eating plan. Stay strong! michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so close! You've come too far to give up now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine going that long on just fruits and veggies...ok scratch that, I CAN imagine, and that just makes me marvel at you even more! The changes you describe kinda make me want to try it myself though, and I really like the idea of your personal challenges - I can see them breaking up the weight loss slog quite nicely, AND you get a nice sense of accomplishment at the end! As usual, my head is filled with new ideas after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one tough self-challenge. Good for you for pushing yourself to do it! The changes you feel is your body rejoicing in all the extra vitamins and minerals you're now getting from the veggies and fruit. I notice a big difference in how I feel when I don't eat a lot of veggies in a day.

    Ooooh!! I have something that might help you get through till Friday ... or at least till tomorrow. :) I made the most scrumptious soup last week and plan on making it again. So filling and yummy, low calorie, healthy and - for me at least - only 1 WW point for 1 cup.

    Cut up carrots, onion and garlic, sautee in a large pot (in cooking spray) for about 3 minutes. Then add 4 to 6 cups of fat free/low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, and 1/2 cup of each, chopped: celery, spinach or escarole, diced tomatoes (from a can, no salt added), turnip or sweet potato, shredded green cabbage, green beans, zucchini, chayote or butternut squash ... pretty much you get to pick the veggies you want in the soup, whatever you like. Season it with oregano, parsley, Mrs. Dash, whatever seasonings you like (if you can deal with salt, you can add salt; I left it out since I'm on sodium restriction). I then added half a tablespoon of red pepper flakes and let it cook for about 20 minutes. OMG! It was soooo good and the red pepper flakes gave it a nice kick. Hubby loved it! If you want to add some protein, you could toss in a few cubes of tofu or add black beans.

    Good luck! I'm rooting for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are feeling better. Have you looked into any raw sites to help you with a few fresh ideas to get you through the rest of your challenge?

    I remember my sister once made me zucchini pasta with just some herbs and lemon juice. It was delicious AND RAW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. get crafty! Good some all veggie meals and see what you comeup with! Maybe some great broiled eggplant and some lemon pepper cooked veggies =) pick of some frozen unsweetend fruit at the store and make yourself some sweet treat smoothies! They have become my life line latley. I just use frozen straberrys and half a bannanna and some ice (I add milk sometimes but you dont have to) and it makes a great sweet treat! GL! Only 5 more days./ I agree w/ a privious poster though, I hope it doesn't make you hate fruites and veggies as they are really the only way to the end. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can do it. 5 more days. BTW- I love mangos in salt, vinegar, and pepper. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've come all this way, dont give up now otherwise you'll have to re-do it all anyway later on.

    The finish line is approaching in the distance. You can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5 days raw! that's awesome! That takes will power. Keep it up. If you can make it to ten, then staying away from things like Egg and Sausage croissants will be easy.

    Remember, you have control of the body. The body does not have control of you.

    Go Go Go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Glad you added the nuts though. Some protein is good. I think what would be interesting is to finish this challenge (what's 5 days? It's nothing!) and then gradually add things back. So STICK with the fruits and veggies and add some yogurt and dairy. Add a portion of lean meat, maybe a couple of eggs. Just don't be in any hurry to add in the wheat. You don't NEED it and it will just be counter productive if you do.

    Please DON'T reach the 10th day and then explode and splurge! Just simple add some chicken to the veggies and yogurt with the fruit and you'll have a new way of eating. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't know how you do it! keep going you're doing brilliantly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gave you an award on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing great! I am proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete