Friday, August 19, 2011

Do you ever fast?

Every once in a while, I'd say 2-3 times a year, I fast for a weekend.  I eat lunch on Friday then don't eat again until Sunday afternoon.  I do this as a way to re-center my energy.  I let the feeling of hunger remind me of the priveleges I have in life such as food, a roof over my head, a comfortable bed, clothes, furniture, a car.  I am a social worker and have worked with the homeless population many times.  National Homelessness and Hunger Awareness week is always..... the week before? (maybe after) Thanksgiving in November.  I always fast that weekend.  I do drink plenty of water while fasting and allow myself 1 mug of herbal tea each morning and night.  I originally allowed for black coffee, but it's very acidic and sometimes made me feel worse.  I think I am getting close to doing a fast again in the next couple weekends.  I need to find the balance and humility I find in it.  Not sure what exercise I will do while fasting, maybe just walking.  I don't think it will be this weekend as it is already jam-packed with stuff to do, but perhaps I will gear myself up for next.  It always takes some time to get ready for it mentally because it's tough.  I do a lot of writing, etc.  I always end up losing some weight the week or so afterwards and just feeling better all the way around even though during the couple days of no eating I feel tired and hungry.  In the end, it's always worth it and I feel strength beyond strength.  :)  Will keep you posted! 

Does anyone else fast for any reason?  My reason is social justice and personal humility.  I had a major argument with a friend who said my fasting was because of 'political reasons'.  Bullshit.  :)

10 comments:

  1. I have never fasted before, but if you want to do it (for whatever reasons) I say go for it, and fuck your friend.....lol....sorry but that's how I feel when people butt into where they don't belong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I haven't considered fasting before, I like your reasoning. I had a friend who did a series of fasting and lost a pile of weight quickly. She also burned out her thyroid.

    I look forward to reading about your fasting weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is your personal choice to fast. That is what I say.
    I have never fasted before except for blood tests.
    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't do that, except for medical reasons, of course. Like blood tests & surgery. Interested to hear how it went this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done it, I have friends who do it for weight loss reasons, to flush out their systems as the beginning of a detox.

    Interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never done it but I know a lot of religions do it for similar reasons you speak of. I think it's a great idea. I don't know heath wise if it's good for you or not. If you don't have any medical reasons that should prevent you from doing it I say go for it if you need it. Whatever makes you feel better inside about yourself. I get the feeling you are seeking something you are missing. You have been in distress for a few weeks now. Find your center and work through it. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm another one who hasn't done it as part of my weight-loss journey, but I really like your reasons for going through it - actually, that makes me tempted to do one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand why you fast. I'm sure there will be some people out there who don't understand your reasons, but...i get it. I, too, like the hollow feeling I get when I don't eat. I love it. And, you're right, it does remind me of how lucky we are to have immediate access (and funds) to food.

    However, I haven't fasted in a very long while because it is a very slippery-slope to me. I once struggled with "fasting" for days and days and days (week-long fasts that became detrimental to my health). I made a game out of it: how long can I go without food before my body shuts down? And I savored the empty feeling a little too much: oooh...I'm getting thinner and thinner.

    Therefore, I don't fast anymore. I do miss it though, but it's not for me. Also, I don't find anything wrong with it as long as you never lose focus of why you're REALLY doing it and you don't let IT eat you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fasted several times, mostly for religious reasons to ground and humble myself bringing me closer to Christ. Due to my hypoglycemia I don't do it very often. When I do fast my blood sugar had a really hard time recovering so it is rare when I do it.

    Look forward to hearing about your journey.

    Way to go on the buffet success!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I could fast. I tend to get sick if I don't eat and I get shaky. ]: I've always wanted to but meh. Never was able to.

    ReplyDelete