Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gaining Perspective vs. gaining pounds

I've had a lot of time to think over the last couple days.  As mentioned in my previous post, I am dealing with the loss of my grandma.  She died in her apartment when it caught on fire - there was no way to go in and rescue or help her.  Those are the demons and feelings we will all face for the rest of our lives.  I appreciate your comments and prayers  - they are needed and helpful. 

I have thought a lot about how life can change or end in an instant.  I want more control over my next life changes.  I have wasted my twenties away being fat - that is why I started this journey of 30 before 30 and what I want to do.  I want to be happy.  I don't want to be afraid to say 'no' to an outing in fear of not fitting in a booth or chair or worse yet, breaking a chair.  It is so stressful and creates such a negative attitude.  There are at least 10,000 reasons I hate being this overweight and not 1 good reason for it.  I like exercise, I like heart pumping, sweating, heavy breathing activity.  It feels refreshing, almost cleansing.  The demon is the food.  I love the food.  I love cupcakes, they're so cute and pretty.  I love pasta, it's so filling and delicious.  I love fried anything, it's so crunch and savory.  I don't love how it makes me feel.  Do what makes you feel good, right?  It seems simple, but is so hard when there is an addiction to a substance which is what I have come to accept I have with food.

I spiraled out of control this week and so did my eating.  I got on the scale today and nearly cried.  It said 307, gained 8 pounds.  I am juggling it in my head and saying well 5 of that is probably 'monthly visitor' bloat, so maybe I can come back from this.  I won't finish strong in 2 days on Monday's weigh in.  I will more than likely still be over 300 which is where I said I would never go.  I am going to make a pretty strict eating plan for this week.  Primarily eat lean protein and veggies.  I just need a good loss for a couple weeks to get be jump started - now that we are practically half way through and I've wasted away precious time.  I am still happy with the 12 I had lost before - but know I can do better.  I want to keep learning, keep gaining perspective about what my body and mind are telling me and what their dependencies are.  I don't want to gain these pounds back and put on more.

I want to be happy to see old friends and relatives I've been out of touch with.  I want to be happy to say 'yes' at the drop of a hat - there is a fun-loving, happy girl inside here and she wants out of this slobbish angry body.  

6 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I know what you mean, after something like a loss of a loved one, it can be a good time to get in the right frame of mind and really put things in perspective. I haven't been doing so good either and I'm mad at myself for wasting time too. Your plan is good, it's just a matter of STICKING to the plan! Have a good weekend and don't wait until Monday to start your good eating plan, start with your next meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss!!
    Weight loss can be so very hard. I truely believe it is more mental than it is physical. (at least for me) I agree with you, I love to sweat, but the taste of the 'bad' foods. YUM!! I have to mentally tell myself NO!! But I know that I am hurting myself! Im addicted. How do I overcome the addiction? Not by feeding it!! This whole journey is a marathon, not a 5K. Its gonna take time to get it right!!
    Keep plugging away! Keep trying!! Fight for yourself!! You are so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your grandmother support you in your weight loss efforts? Dedicate your new weight loss efforts going forward to her memory. It might give you a little extra motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about losing your grandmother. Deb is right - you have to fight for yourself because you are worth it. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh April I am so sorry for the loss of your grandma. That has got to be such a horrible loss for you.
    I think Jo has a great idea, why don't you dedicate becoming healthy to your grandma.
    I feel so bad for you and your family. Hang in there my friend. Prayers are headed your way.
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Hugs. Death is an evil demon to battle. Loss can contribute so much anger and hurt and it makes life seem so fragile and chaotic. It is hard and I am sorry that you have this great sadness.

    ReplyDelete