Sunday, July 10, 2011

A couple recipes

I wanted to share a couple recipes.  I spent my morning chopping, peeling, and prepping food (fruits and veggies) for the week.  I made two delicious salads and will divvy them up in containers for the week.  The first is from Taste of Home, it is a light and delicious orange fruit slaw.  It is so good!  The texture is great, I didn't have any almonds so substituted some unsalted sunflower kernels.  Here is a pic of my slaw:


The second recipe is for a broccoli salad.  There isn't a link to it, a friend made it and said it was part of her high protein diet.  I used 3 crowns of broccoli, 6 oz of hard salami, 8 oz of pepper jack cheese, 8 oz. of sharp cheddar cheese, and enough of a ranch dressing packet to dress the salad.  The broccoli is cooked, shocked, and chilled.  The cheese and salami are cut into bite sized pieces.  Here is a pic:

I think I would like the meat to be changed and maybe just use a lean ham or turkey.  The salami lends a great flavor though.  It is a very filling salad.  That portion pictured kept me satisfied for a very long time.  Mmmm it's a great summer lunch because it's cool and refreshing, yet filling.  Broccoli is also one of my favorite foods.

Enjoy! 





6 comments:

  1. broccoli salad? That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing these. I may have to pick up some salami now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first salad looks awesome, the other one...well if someone made it for me I'd give it a try.
    You're doing awesome and getting back to below 300, terrific. Keep up the great work.
    Take care and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make a Broccoli salad a lot like that one for almost every family gathering. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete