Thursday, July 21, 2011

April is Back - need cardio equipment ideas!

I've been on hiatus from here and myfitnesspal due to technology hating me and being on travel.  I had a few slip ups at the conference, dessert was calling my name.  I didn't do a workout workout, but did move a lot - by walking around in the mall and other stores for hours upon hours.  Water was a good level, but I usually drink more than that - never under 64 ounces though.  I usually am more close to 100 ounces/day.

I have moved my bedroom to my spare room in my house and plan on getting some more exercise equipment going on.  I need a really good cardio machine, any suggestions?  I would like a bike that also has the arm workout on it, so you can do both at the same time or just one or the other.  I looked on Amazon and a Schwinn stationary bike like that is about $600.  Ouch, but probably well worth it.  I went to Kmart and there was a sturdy one with a wider seat for my big butt and it was only about $235, I could get that as a starter and put the good one as a goal down the line.  Anything is better than nothing.  My friend bought a heavy bag and punching gloves - man I love them.  I think I'd like to invest in that sometime soon too.  We are going to Las Vegas together in October and we said we could practice up and if anyone messes with us just give 'em the old 2-1-2.  ;)  Knock out, haha.  She gets a great cardio workout with the bag and gloves, it'd be fun and sometimes when I come home from work I have some frustration to be spent, that might be a good avenue.  Any ideas?  She ordered hers from Sears online.

How about the argument of elliptical vs. stationary bike?  Which is better?  I do have knee issues and occasionally lower back issues.  Any recommendations for brands or styles?  It needs to be sturdy and solid, thankfully I am now under their usual capacity of 300 lbs.  Jeez louise.  NEVER AGAIN!

Let me know if you have any good ideas!  Thanks, April

5 comments:

  1. I prefer stationary bike over elliptical, which I have a hard time balancing on. Check craigslist, I got a Schwinn Airdyne there for $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I'm going to say is that ellipticals are EVIL. LOL

    I got a treadmill (quite nice one) on Craigslist for $300---DD1 and BestSonInLawEVER have it now because I do all my walking outside--even in this oppressive heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an elliptical and it's the best equipment I ever purchased. I actually swapped my first elliptical for a treadmill and regretted it so recently I swapped the treadmill for the elliptical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an elliptical I never use at home. I do use the one at the gym. I spent $600 (at Sears)and the quality doesn't even compare to what the gym has. Something is better than nothing, but quality gives me a better work out and is much, much smoother.

    One thing I have that I do love is a bicycle trainer. I bought it at a used sports shop ($40). I have a road bike that I have up on my trainer in my 'workout' room. I love biking out doors but I don't get out as much as I like in the summer with the heat.

    It would be worth the investment to find a nice bike that you could use outside or inside with a trainer. Craigslist is a great place to start. Currently I have a Trek and it is awesome. In the past I had Cannondales and I LOVE them. I just couldn't affort a Cannondale road bike. I also have a Electra 3 speed cruiser. It is nice for shorter rides around town or to pull the kids in the trailer. If you do look into getting a bike, make sure you take it for a test ride. If you splurge on a better bike, you are going to be much happier with the biking experience!!

    Sorry for the novel.

    Oh yeah... I was going to buy a treadmill, but the guy talked me out of it and I came home with an elliptical. They require maintainance with the belt and motor. Eliptical has little or no maintainance.

    We also have a punching bag. I have been using street style gloves, but I would like to get a pair of big cushy gloves, I think I would punch a lot harder.

    Again sorry for the novel. I should have emailed you!!

    Good luck if you have any questions let me know
    Amber overcomingmysugaraddiction @ yahoo . com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a treadmill and and eliptical. Now if I had the money I don't have the room but if I could just have one I think I'd go with the treadmill. Walking frontwards, backwards, sidestepping, running, jogging, walking I think it would work out more muscles then the eliptical however my heart rate works harder on the eliptical.
    Good luck on whatever you choose. Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete