Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Check my swagger! ;)

Back from a conference for work, it was WONDERFUL!  I'm so glad I am in the field I am in - it is just so rewarding and there are such amazing people doing the same type of work.  I did a lot of professional networking, it was so great.

 I did some shopping - was down a size quite comfortably at Lane Bryant, yay!  I went into the Coach store and had a wonderful chat with the girl working there.  I told her I was making a wish list, I found a beauty that is about $400 - it's so getting squeezed into my rewards list.  I'm worth it, the purse was beautiful.  The girl was so nice and said that she hopes she's working when I come in saying I've lost 50 more pounds so she can sell me the purse.  She wrote down the style number on a little business card and said to tape it to my mirror.  This girl had to weigh no more than 120 pounds.  As I was leaving and walking out to my car, I realized that I had this major confidence while at the conference and at the stores in the mall today.  I would have never chatted up a little tiny prim and proper Coach store employee, I would have said I was just browsing some eye candy or something and avoided getting too close to them.  I told her I was browsing for inspiration for my rewards list, she said oh for what?  So then I told her about the weight loss, shes like wow is that through like a gym membership or what?  I said rewards that my friends and family support me on in this journey to the new me.  She was so freakin' nice!  I usually never trust a skinny bitch, lol - but I think I just have to present myself with confidence. 

At the conference, I was going up to people and asking them about their programs, telling them about mine, etc.  Usually I listen, talk in small groups - but during breaks I'm always shoving cookies in my face and getting refills on lemonade while everyone else networks - or just stick to my own office, people I already know.  I'm such an idiot.  But not this time, I even approached a guy I recognized from a past workshop, he's like yeah you did look familiar.  We chatted and I told him about my grant program (it's new so we really need to be networking and raising awareness of our services).  The next day, he saw me and said "hey there's that girl I was looking for - I wanted to run some ideas by you if you get a moment!".  We had a wonderful business chat and even talked about music interests, etc.  I walked away from that conversation with a little more bounce in my step!

I can truly see that people do perceive you as you perceive yourself.  I went into the conference as a friendly, smart, confident professional with a good sense of humor and excellent leadership.  I know that's who I am.  My peers now got a taste of it.  I walked into the Coach store with a little bit of... dare I say, swagger?  I am also a lot more open about my weight journey and proud of knowing this is for real this time.  A teeny tiny sales girl at Coach saw my confidence and recognized that I'm worth it - because I made it clear to her that I was by my own actions. 

I thank you all for the support.  You have done a lot to get me where I am - even if it doesn't seem obvious.  I feel like a million bucks!

I'll update on my fitness pal and here with calories, etc.  I mean, this was way more of a victory than staying under 1200 - this is the result of the work.  I love it, and I've only just begun.  By the time my Las Vegas trip comes in October, look out I might be swinging on a pole down there with this electric swagger.  HAHA OMG JUST KIDDING! ;)

3 comments:

  1. I do think that once we really decide that this is IT and make progress toward being healthy, we become more confident. Go ahead and swagger: you have a lot to swag about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can truly see that people do perceive you as you perceive yourself". So true. I LOVED this post, so much of the 'fat' mentality is self-derived. Sure, sometimes people try and put you down, but having confidence in yourself works wonders. BRILLIANT to hear about your new confidence-boost - you sound like you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking me to this post. We sound so similar in so many ways lol. I can see how much confidence both you and I are gaining as we go along and that is helping this journey go by so much easier! Thanks for always being so supportive!!

    ReplyDelete