Thursday, June 16, 2011

Less sodium, please

I've been struggling with keeping a good balance on my sodium intake.  I just crave something salty all the freakin' time.  Yesterday I had celery and peanut butter and that took care of the craving, but on other days I really struggle.  I usually think food is TOO salty, I haven't used table salt in probably 2 years.  I don't add that to my food, but have been having a sneaking desire for really salty foods - maybe because I miss fried food.  This week I haven't had any, and I was limiting myself to once a week.  Anyone have good healthy ideas that curb those types of cravings?  I opt for fruit or a whipped yogurt out of the freezer for a sweet treat - but the salt is crazy.  I've also ate a jar of pickes in like two days, or olives in one! Not cool.

I weighed myself this morning and my weight was the same as Monday, despite busting my tail this week.  The salt can't be helping that at all, due to possible retention but still even a .5 loss would have been nice.

Intake and water has been good.  Yesterday I went to my favorite burger place and they had beef tips, little chunks of grilled steak basically with fries as the special.  I ordered the beef tips but opted for a salad.  They looked at me like I was joking and then the salad they brought was basically two scraps of lettuce and a half cup of ranch on the side.  When I eat salad, I dip the fork into the dressing then take a bite rather than soaking it in dressing.  You use a lot less and still get the flavor of the dressing if that's what you need.  I was disappointed in the salad (or lack thereof), the beef was good and was grilled - so better than my usual double cheeseburger and fried cheeseballs I get there.  I was proud - slow and steady wins the race... one good decision at a time.

7 comments:

  1. I understand the cravings. I am not sure how to curve salt cravings, but it seems like water might be the key. Maybe it takes a while to be effective?

    Sorry I am not very helpful, kudos on not getting yummy fried cheeseballs.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I noticed since using a food diary, is that cheese is mega salty and even thought that lunchmeat is only 25-35 calories a slice they each are packed with salt. Then even my chicken breasts have high sodium. Oh and shrimp OMG. One day I ate a fat half a sandwich using 4 turkey deli slices and a modest piece of cheese and documented it on my diary and I realized after eating that and some sausage with an omelet with cheese OMG Then my weight went up 2 pounds the next day and horrified me. My calories were down but that salty session made me bloat a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mir came by my blog when this all happened and related that eating potassium rich veggies and hydration will help it pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE salt! For me, balsamic vinegar fills that urge...I have it (all by itself) on salad, sometimes on other veggies and it's such a strong, complex flavor that it makes me happy. And it has next to no sodium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have u tried including sea salt in your diet. Maybe your body needs the sodium. I know you will get to the bottom of this salty mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pathetic as the salad was, it was a MUCH better choice than the cheeseballs or fries! I ordered broccoli instead of fries this week and my husband thought I was crazy. I LOVE broccoli but sadly this was overdone and not good at all. Still, better than the fries. Can't wait to see how this week came out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could avoid adding salt to my food. I LOVE salt! I LOVE a frozen margarita rimmed with LOTS of yummy salt. I love radishes dipped in salt... salt is the little devil sitting on my shoulder that tells me a sprinkle or two will make dinner taste taste that much better. Putting down the table salt is definately on my list.

    ReplyDelete