Tuesday, August 2, 2011

low carb ideas

I am seeking some ideas, recipes, websites, etc. for low carb ideas.  Yesterday I said I would be trying a low carb for a couple weeks just as another boost  - then I went home and made spaghetti.  Nice work kid!  ;)  I will be doing some research on it, but if you know some sites or ideas let me know.  The good thing is I love veggies and eggs and chicken, etc. - but I know I will get bored with them quickly.  I just posted the other day about how I'm sick of focusing on food and was thinking of doing Slim Fast drinks.  I don't really want to do Slim Fast though, I don't mind the taste but it does sort of taste like licking a tin can (not that I've spent a lot of time doing that....).  I'd rather do real food as a boost instead of that. 

I have lost 26 pounds so far, and it's been a great learning experience.  Your ideas and input have helped tremendously.  My family and friends here are supportive, but either they are overweight and don't mind it or they are thin and have no clue what I'm talking about.  I bet they do mind being overweight, but haven't shown a commitment to change like I have so it's been a lonely road.  I had a walking buddy here for about two weeks, my cousin's wife and I went to walk without missing a beat - 1.5 miles a day.  Then she was tired, then she didn't have a babysitter, then she needed to hang out laundry - all of which could have been handled and the walk still complete.  So onward I went alone and have been.  I've had 3 others say to call them when I go walk and they will come - they're no shows.  It's a bummer and sometimes it gets to me to the point where I give up too and just sit on the couch.  Got to stay out of that trap of excuses and laziness!     

11 comments:

  1. I don't get tired of omelettes or scrambles for breakfast cause I use a lot of veggies and spices. I like Greek with feta/kalamata/chopped tomatoes/sometimes peppers n onions/somtimes spinach. I also like a 6 veggie with ham scramble or omelette. The Italian one ( a good marinara sauce on top with mushrooms inside, and then artichoke hearts or asparagus on the side, or green beans) I love broccoli cheese omelettes. And you can always have standard bacon and eggs or ham and eggs with some grapefruit (the old diet breakfast haha).

    Chicken is one of the most versatile. And add in lean cuts of beef and pork, and you can just enjoy away. If you can eat seafood, God bless you, lucky girl. Hit it hard. Seafood is low in cals. Omega high fish is great for you.

    Low carb is not boring. I eat more Primarian and Paleo/Primal/New Evolution type of low carbing is so delicious its nearly criminal. Look into those for real, clean food (ie, not Frankenfood, processed food, boxed, canned, fake foods).

    I wish you the best this month...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of using whole wheat wraps or bread, wrap your fajita, burger, egg salad, etc in cold crips iceburg lettuce leaves...soooo yummy...and NO carb ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrap tuna salad in lettuce and it's amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grate zucchini long ways and then saute lightly it in a bit of EVOO, I eat pasta sauce over it, and it's really low carb if you do the sauce right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April,

    Thanks for visiting and commenting at my blog. I think you've been there before but I haven't been to yours yet and am glad to be here.

    The low-carb meatloaf is a recipe I got at Lyn's blog, http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/. If you go to the link, then click on recipes on the menu across the top, you'll find it. It has great flavor, no bread and no ketchup - hence the lower carb than typical meatloaf. I make it exactly as it's written and it's really good, and the only one I use for the family anymore.

    Hey - I love your 30x30 list - I have some of the same goals. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with Ninja... Zucc sliced and pasta sauce... one of my faves!!!! If you find some great sites, don't hesitate to share ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second what The Ninja said, eating zucchini in pasta form works wonders! And if we lived in the same city we would have it made because I would SO be there walking with you... I have a hell of a time getting TheBoyfriend to wake up in time for morning walks :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some really good ideas in these comments. I don't eat meat and really have to focus on protein as it's really easy to fill up on carbs. Stir-fries are great because you can changes the flavours so much depending on the ingredients, frittatas full of vegies and if I want something that really feels carb filling I roast veggies (eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, onions, mushrooms) with some low fat baked ricotta. Congrats on the 26 pounds, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a 30 by 30 list! I just found this site, and am basically in love with it. :)

    And 26 pounds is fantastic! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shirataki and then you can have some low carb spaghetti. :D

    Licking a tin can...YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. E-Mealz has a low carb option... I don't know if you've ever looked at them from my page but they help me stay on track by not leaving me up to the planning of what to eat for the week.

    http://e-mealz.com/amember/go.php?r=184638&i=l0

    ReplyDelete