Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tomorrow = Vacation

Just a quick check in.  I have been SO busy this week, including 2 over nights out of town for family and work.  Tomorrow I will be driving my happy ass to the airport to head off to the fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada until next Monday 10-17-11. 

I ended up fasting yesterday: I had 1 cup of coffee (ok, its 24 ounces) as I settled into my desk at work at 8am.  At 10am, we had a director's meeting.  25 programs explaining to our new board what our program is, where we are on our budget, goals, etc..  I finally got to talk about mine at 2:30pm.  They didn't break for lunch.  Some people got up and ate and came back, other people complained and there was lots of stomachs growling.  At around 3:30pm, I was starving- then I spaced out, as I was not the least bit interested in hearing about the other programs (I'm a jerk like that).

 I started thinking, you know, there are plenty of people in this country who 'planned' to eat today - then life happened.  There's a single mother somewhere who had $3.52 to her name and bought some bologna and bread for her kids, but couldn't afford or take from their little mouths.  There is a homeless man who got turned away from the shelter because it was crowded; gone with the bed to sleep in is the only chance for a hot meal he had that day.  They don't get to eat, so why should I?  Who the hell am I to be sitting here in a 'Director's Meeting'; could I be any more pretentious?  I decided at that moment to gain some humility for the day, some balance.  I decided I wouldn't eat.  I did have the cup of coffee in the morning and about 100 ounces of water.  I worked out last night, but it wasn't too strenuous.  I did laundry and packed.  Hunger was still there, but I felt it slowly being replaced by a humble calm and genuine appreciation for all I have in this world.

*I get to pack a bag because I can afford a vacation.
*I sat in a Director's Meeting all day because I had the luxury of an advanced education.
*I got to do laundry because I live in a home with electricity and running water.
*I slept in a warm bed, protected from the cold, rain and wind because I'm one lucky mother fucker. 

Count your blessings.  Not everyone has the 'things' in life that we take for granted or think we couldn't live without.

****I won't be updating this weekend for the Christmas Dress Challenge.  I get in late on Monday (around 10pm); so I will post on Tuesday.  Everyone have a good weekend.  Stick to your goals.  I've been doing great with my goals.  Last night as I was packing, I came across a pair of capris that I remember trying on around Labor Day and they were just a little too snug and muffin toppy - I put them on and they fit like a dream.  I packed them for Vegas, it will be a nice 90 degrees there!  You can count on a few picture posts next week!!!  And remember - You're.Worth.It.****

18 comments:

  1. As busy as you are, you took the time to put up a great post. It is great that the capri's fit!
    Have fun in Sin City. There is so much to see. Hope you can fit it in! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the capris fitting! And have a fab time in Vegas!!

    Oh... and if it still exists... I HIGHLY recommend 'Thunder from Down Under.' I took a girlfriend there for her bachelorette. It's delightfully cheesy, and the dudes are beeuutiiffuull. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Have fun on vacation, and hell yeah for the capris fitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegas Already - where did the time go!! Have a great time...so much to do there, as I used to live there and loved when we had visitors...enjoy enjoy enjoy (but not too much of the buffet - LOL). Glad to see that those capris fit!!!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time! I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun in LV! Enjoy the sunshine, cause winter will be here before you know it!

    We are so very blessed. Way to go at counting your blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you :)

    This time last year I WAS the single mum who could only afford a loaf of bread to feed my children. I know I have come a long way, but I have also become complacent.
    I promised myself I would never end up that way again, and have unfortunately started taking things for granted again.

    You have reminded and inspired me.

    Have a great time in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo for you and your sin city capris!

    go have a kickass time -- like i need to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have an awesome trip April. You deserve it. Amen to all your blessings and mine. Take care and tell us all about it next week.
    Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun. Take lotsa pics. Squeeze in exercise. Stay hydrated. Win some money!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post! Have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a FABULOUS trip! Can't wait for pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Have fun! Put a quarter in the slots for me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanna go to Vegas - can I come?
    Have a blast on your trip!

    ReplyDelete