Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Some observations from vacation

I want to start referring to 'vacation' as 'holiday', like the Europeans, but then nobody here would know what I'm talking about.  Holiday sounds cooler.

These are some random things from vacation:

1. I totally JUST about had the lap belt on in the plane, it took a little work; BUT the male airplane staff said, 'hey sweetie, do you need this?' and handed me the extender.  I was one of the first on the plane, he whispered it to avoid embarassing me.... I took it and just used it. I seriously had to pull it ALL the way tight, it made the lap belt way too freakin big for me.  I just panicked when he came over there I guess.  I kinda wanted to cry, but then again I would have had the normal lap belt clicked in like eight seconds had Mr. Jolly not come over there.  He was a gem.  Even 50 pounds down, I did still use it, but I don't think it was NECESSARY.  A LOT of my weight is carried in my bottom belly roll, right where the darn lap belt goes.  Ugh.  Not cool, but then again I wasn't too upset about the situation.  Had he shouted it in front of a bunch of other passengers, there would have been hell to pay - but he was just being a little sweetie about it.  Never again though, and it's pretty cool to see how far I've come.  In April, I flew to Phoenix for my birthday and I HAD to use it.  The belt was nowhere near being able to buckle. 

2. I saw these two very large women who appeared to be sisters or something.  I went and ordered a coffee black and was waiting near the line for my friend.  The two women, one of which was using a cane (mobility was definitely an issue for her) and seemed to be out of breath, ordered 'black and white lattes' (mocha and vanilla latte combo) and 2 desserts each from the Mrs. Fields coffee bar.  I remember thinking, 'No!!!  What the FUCK are you doing?!".  I felt sad for them.  Now, granted, I gained 3.5 pounds over my vacation and probably have no room to talk....  I remember being in the place where I didn't care to change, where I had no shame in eating ridiculous foods, constantly.  :(  Boo....

3.  Big girls need not dress scantily clad, EVER.  I don't care if you're in Vegas.  Sure, I'm all about - if you got it, flaunt it.  Wear clothes that highlight your 'assets', whatever they may be.  But if you are 260 pounds, don't wear a tiny camisole and way too tight jeans.  It's not cute.  It's a little gross.  Invest in some jeans that are your size, some Spanx and cute tops with a little bling on them or something.  Puke.

4. I was a lot more outgoing and talkative with strangers than I would have been even 6 months ago.  I was a little self conscious, sure, but I wasn't insecure and introverted.  I made some friends, danced, partied like a rockstar, struck up conversations on the plane.... it was a blast.  I felt more comfortable in my own skin and that was a beautiful thing.  I smiled at strangers, raised my glass with foreigners from all over the globe and just had a great time.  I remember my birthday trip in April, we went out one night and I sat at the table most of the time.  I just wasn't happy at all.  I didn't start conversations or even hold eye contact with people.  I think I was ashamed of who I was, that is so depressing.  Not that I'm completely happy with where I am now, but I'm damn proud of the progress I've made so far.

5.  People are nicer than I ever thought they were.  I think that is all part of my attitude towards the trip and how I felt about me.  I was very happy about that, the whole experience was just rad and I can't wait to go back.

6. Late night foods, as in 4-6am, are not healthy and my mind wasn't functioning at the time to make healthy decisions.  When I was sober (3-8pm); I made pretty darn good choices.  (Minus the pumpkin pecan cheesecake, but I did split it with a friend and I was at the Cheesecake Factory so it was necessary)  You can't come off a night of drinking and order a salad - the late night menus are out at that point and I don't even think salad is an option.  That sucks.  But after the carbs, sugars and alcohol of Vegas drinks - does it really matter?  Probably.  I want to develop a better plan for my next trip.

*Yesterday I wasn't THAT upset about my gain, but today the reality sunk in a little more and I can't believe I gained that much.  I got in the scale this morning and it's only 2.5 pounds up vs. 3.5 so that's a good thing, but really?  That is almost a pound a day, yikes.  It does show how easy it is to gain it back, when it's a bear to lose a pound.  Ugh. 

7. Escalators are the devil when you're drunk.  Don't do it.

8. When in Vegas, text yourself your room number and what hotel you're staying in, just in case you forget later.

9. Buy gallons of water at Walgreens or something and take them to your room. Buying a couple liters every day gets pricey. 

10.  Vegas fucking rocks and I'm going again in April!! I will NOT use an extender and I'll have even more swagger than I did this time.  Look out, Sin City, skinnier April is coming back to rock it for my 30th birthday!!  Hey, how cool that will be the end of my 30 before 30 blog list too?!  Double celebration.  Maybe you all need to come with me.  :)

11. I almost forgot! If your room has an adjoining door, make sure that shit is locked!  Ugh, not cool....

11 comments:

  1. When I was 260, things stayed well covered up except maybe a bit of cleavage , cause I was hot flashing all the damn time. I started going sleeveless at that weight, just cause of the hot flashing and fat arms be damned.

    I always found people pretty nice to me, even at 300 lbs, and didn't get the level of flak a lot of my fellow obese folks did. I am outgoing and friendly and VERY VERY courteous in public, and maybe that was part of it. I may have hated my fat, but I like being a friendly, decent sort, ya know? Attitude does help. It's harder for folks to be mean to you if you're relentlessly upbeat and interested and just want to live life high on it...and when I was out with my prince or family, that's how I wanted to feel--chipper and kind.

    Now, I find I get MORE attention, but that's the nature of a lot of things--I am more acceptable to society as an L/XL than as a morbidly obese--but I also am not the least depressed, I'm less reclusive, I want to be dolled up more. MY attitude is different, so it's not surprising if I get better reaction, too. Plus is the energy thing. People like good energy, and boy have I had it this year. :D

    For the shallowest folks, we're still not acceptable, attitude and all, but those folks can go eat their snots and die. :D

    Here's to an even better holiday next time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You observations were funny as hell, not that I would expect anything less from you!

    I love Vegas so much! We are planning to go there in January if everything works out for my hubby's 30th bday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3.5 lbs... I'm with you on that gain this weekend. Holidays are killer.

    It's really easy as we go along this weight loss journey, to be able to identify with people that to us, represent where we've come from. I feel there's no harm in observation... I think there's no harm in feeling good about your accomplishment either.

    If girl at 260+ feels confident and sexy in her cami, that's great, more power to her. We can't make decisions for others, just ourselves. Her confidence is admirable. Just like no one has the right to tell me how to dress, I do not have the right to do that to someone else.

    I'm sitting pretty at 334lbs. I wear sleeveless stuff, I wear short stuff. Who knows, maybe that girl at 260lbs weighed as much as me and is excited about her new body. Having been the person snickered at, judged or told that my body is offensive, I feel so strongly about this. Sorry if I'm all preachy, I'm trying to be respectful.

    Your vacation sounded awesome... I would kill to see drunk on a escalator, or I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take me with you!!

    I've never been to Vegas but I sure as heck want to go! Your trip sounds awesome and I am glad you cut loose and had a good time :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, this really made me smile!

    "7. Escalators are the devil when you're drunk. Don't do it.

    8. When in Vegas, text yourself your room number and what hotel you're staying in, just in case you forget later. "

    Escalators are the devil :D You are hilarious! Glad you had a great holiday (or vacation, that's fine).

    I'll be adding you to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe that's funny. We say holiday all the time here and I think vacation sounds more refined, but alas, no one would know what I am on about if I started saying vacation LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had an awesome time. I couldn't stop laughing at the escalators advice! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nanette...I think that MissApril's big problem was that the girl's clothes didn't FIT...and that's something that offends me too, no matter what size you are, your butt shouldn't be hanging out of the top of your jeans, you know?

    ...and don't tempt me...I will totally show up in Vegas, I've been dying to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey April!...I found your blog from random weightloss blog hopping... But girl, you are doing great, and what a fun trip! I've never been to vegas, but want to go. And 3.5...that'll come of before you know it. (I once gained 8lbs on a 5 day cruise...WTH?!...but it came off too). A 30th birthday in Vegas would be great! (Mine was not nearly that fun last december... I just got a fondant covered strawberry cake, and hung out with friends at home...boo!. But the cake was rockin')

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those adjoining rooms freak me out. I would definitely double check those locks. haha

    ReplyDelete